Monday, July 28, 2008

THINGS ACCOMPLISHED PART 1



FINISHED SCHOOL YARD

After the hard work of all the children and teachers, the school yard is now a great place to play. The headmaster still wants grass but until that happens, I was very happy with how it turned out.







REPLACED OR REPAIRED CHALK BOARDS

Many of the Plywood boards were worn out so I replaced them. One of the plaster boards had started flaking so I had that one replastered. I had all of the remaining boards recoated so they all look great.









ENCOURAGING GIRLS

These are 2 of the first year HS students that Tomorrow's Stars Sponsors. They have promised to read one book during this break as well as coming to some review classes being held by 2 of our recent HS graduates.








While I was encouraging girls, we included some boys also from the first year group.












I spent alot of time on reading and acquiring books during my stay. I found that there are books that have stories that the African child can relate to and enjoy. They are available right in Ghana saving us dragging heavy bags of the wrong books.





MADAM KATHY'S BUSINESS CLUB

I invited these boys to the resort for a business lesson. After cokes and fries we got down to the business of costing the making of little African Spirit dolls. It involved a lot of measuring and math skills and when we were done they had a plan to make dolls to sell to the tourists. Shortly after their first sales they dissolved the partner ship due to disagreements. I guess I did not do a good job on the finer points of a partnership! But the good news is they are still friends.

No comments: